May 08, 2007

Pieces of Us

Excerpts ...

Nothing had prepared me for the next sequence of events and the role that I would be asked to play. Aduke had sent me a copy of a letter she had written to her husband in a bid to let him see reason. She did not sound bitter or regretful and from the tone of the letter she sounded like a mother who was worried about the future of her children and found herself in a difficult position, not being there for them physically. In a short note addressed to me which was enclosed in the envelope containing the letter, she alerted me to the fact that all previous efforts to mediate the current situation between them had proved futile. She explained that she had initially recruited Frank, her sister Molara’s husband to talk some sense into her husband and that if he was bent on continuing his life with this Philomena lady, she was happy with his choice but she wanted her children out of that domestic situation. According to her, the encounter between Frank and Olaolu had devolved into a deadlock with Olaolu walking Frank out of his home and banning him and Molara and their children from his premises. Aduke’s request was a simple one since she was not ready to share her husband with any other woman she wanted was her children out of the house and with her.

6 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Love this! Can't believe it is only my first time here....

omohemi Benson said...

This story touches some many things. I don't even know the angle to choose.
But it is beautifully written and simple as usual. Well done.

laspapi said...

The beginning could have been about my older siblings and I.
I noticed you went the African way, in which there has to be a resolution, "good" triumphing over "evil".
Nice work, jola. You collecting for a book on short stories?

Unknown said...

Such a sad story - I was hoping for a happy ending but unfortunately, it wasnt to be. May his soul rest in peace and God keep the family he left behind.

Unknown said...

@SolomonSydelle- Thanks...hope you'll come again

@Omohemi - I know... I used multiple themes to get to the underlining message of the story which was an (albeit) subtle mini- prostate cancer awareness campaign

@laspapi - Someone sent me a message and said the same thing...I guess the same can be said for a number of people I know...this story is actually tame compared to some I have heard and actually witnessed myself. Re -short stories...we'll see!

@calabargal - I echo your sentiments. Thanks for stopping by

TMinx said...

Beautiful, so touching that I cried. I pray I can be as forgiving.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...